Kate Bunting wrote:
It's not my area of interest, but as I can read French and am interested in words I looked at the
Gay book out of curiosity. All I got when I searched on "hennin" was a virtual clipping
from the book showing the word "coiffet", and I was unable to proceed further. How do you
get to see the story?

If you're seeing the whole page that has "coiffet" as its first entry, you're on the right page. Below that is "coiffure," which has a bunch of subsections. Look in the right-hand column of that page, toward the bottom, long paragraph dated 1428.

--Robin