Hello all, while I have been fairly quiet on the mailing list until today there are a few things that have been waiting to be passed along to everyone.
First:
I know of an excellent source for good, plentiful, and usually dirt cheap fabrics, trims, notions, etc. They now have a website I believe but you must visit their stores in-person to shop. They offer student discounts on fabrics now also although they usually were willing to give me the discount in the past when I inquired about it. It is called Jo-Mar and they are located throughout the Philly area. Most of their fabrics I was told are leftovers from wholesalers and such (in NY in particular) so the fabric can be purchased sometimes in huge quantities, and generally measures about 54" which is great for large projects.

The inventory is constantly changing and varies from store to store and once something is gone it's gone for good so I've learned to stock up to be sure I don't run out and end up stuck later with an unfinished project. The location I frequent in the Northeast has quite a few rolls of 100% cotton tape and is already preshrunk. It's 19cents a yard and absolutely authentic and perfect for making period underpinnings where drawstrings or tapes were used. They have a million yards of different eyelet trims and laces right now too. Not to mention how many millions of yards of LARGE rolls of satin ribbon they have right now, all different colours. They are sold in 100 yard rolls for $5.00.

If anyone would be interested in coming to this area to do a Jo-Mar shop-hopping trip I would be more than happy to lead the tour since I've been to nearly all of them, excluding locations on the far end of the city or those that have just recently opened. If anyone would be interested in a middle man who cannot get to this area, I would also be glad to find my way back to the yahoo group pages where goods can be traded and list some things for sale. It's usually better though to go in person because quantities vary and are constantly changing with fabrics.

Second:
One other thing I would like to mention again that I think I mentioned last year, is that I would like very much still to organize a group where the costumers, reenactors, vintage dancers, etc. in this region can unite and possibly plan public events of our own. This was experimented with breifly last summer but did not succeed. However, if anyone would be interested and is in the Philadelphia/Southeastern PA region please let me know.
Thank you all for your ear and hope to talk soon.
-Justine J.