In a message dated 5/12/2010 7:05:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sha...@collierfam.com writes:

Out of  curiosity, how much might a copyright holder charge for permission
do  this?
That depends entirely on the copyright holder.  Some might  actually be
gracious and not charge any fee at all--they might be pleasantly  surprised
that you made the effort to ask and would just want proper  credit. Fees for
use of images in publication, though, which I know about,  can range from
about $50 (US) per use on up to the stratosphere.   (Some of the larger
museums,
for example, charge at least $300.)  For  publication, though, it depends
on how big the print run is, and whether for  profit or non-profit.

Use of an image for some kind of product, like fabric or a pattern,  is
really more into the licensing area.  I would say expect to pay at least  $100.

And, while copyright laws do vary from country to country, there are
international conventions.  (Not all countries are signatories--I know  Taiwan
used to not be, so they produced a lot of stuff we would regard as  pirated.
Don't know if that is still the case, so hope I haven't libeled  any
Taiwanese.)

Ann Wass