Not historic, but not mainstream modern American either:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pomadour24

I've had the two "Pattern Magic" books for awhile, and they are very creative and sophisticated. Many of the other pattern books here are not so fancy, containing many simple tunics-with-yokes and the like. I just ordered several more books that I have not seen yet.

There's some neat stuff here (as well as some styles that are overly cute for my taste and a lot of kids' patterns that I have no use for). I don't read or speak Japanese, but I can follow diagrams and numbers in any language. (I do appreciate the seller's descriptions, even though the English is a little shaky; I love the "Selfish Hats" and the "Talkative Hats.")

Points: The assumed adult body size in this kind of book is small, and the patterns do not have seam allowances.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com