The boy is indeed a boy: that central topknot style is also found on men of the
40s and 50s, and I've seen lots and lots of small boys with the topknot and
side curls well into middle childhood (5-7 years old). This little fellow is
wearing a bodice I wouldn't consider atypical; it's a great summer style for
little boys in the 40s/50s, though it's often worn with plain linen trousers
(long or short), rather than patterned trousers, or over a skirt/petticoats for
a non-toilet-trained little fellow. Nothing about the image strikes me as
particularly stagey or costumey, so I'm betting the tambourine is a
photographer's prop/amusement, rather than a specific commentary on the
possible livelihood of the child.

(Side comment on hair parts: while a center part for girls is very, very
common, it's still not absolute. I've seen a hefty few handsful of images of
girls with the double part (V), no part at all (smoothed straight back), and
even the occasional side part (usually on an older girl). I've not seen *any*
documented girl with the topknot style, though--that's a strictly man/boy style
from birth.)

Regards,

Elizabeth Clark

http://www.elizabethstewartclark.com