skiull nones coffin setting maul, all represent mortality of the body.  The all
seeing eye is god.

Ron

Jul 22, 2010 02:51:39 PM, h-cost...@indra.com wrote:

Ron, Ginni,
Thank you for all the info. I had noticed that some of the images I have seen
do have the points in different relationship to the square (and some don't have
the square at all), but just figured that the painter/embroiderer made the
decision -- silly me. The skull, bones, coffin all refer to man's mortality,
right? The eye refers to God? They don't denote rank?
Even if I weren't doing Amadeus, I find this interesting.

Kate Pinner

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Ron Carnegie
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:55 PM
To: 'Historical Costume'
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Masonic aprons .. a bit of info..

Okay sorry to bore those not interested. I checked on the below mentioned info.
Here in Virginia the rule is, if it is printed in our stuff it aint a secret!
And the information I am about to mention is printed. The reasons for it are
not.

All of this has to do with the placement of the square and compasses. I imagine
that many of your are familiar with the general shape with the compasses open,
points downward, with the square placed with the angle downward. The little
point, that I really don't think will be visible to the audience anyway is this:

Entered Apprentice Degree- the square should be on top of the two points of the
compasses

Fellowcraft (what the wiki is calling journeymen and perhaps some jurisdictions
do)- the left point of the compasses should be under the square the right point
over

Master- both points should be over the square

I hope you understand what I mean. It would be easier to depict in a picture.
If you look at the posts I sent, as I recall most importantly the two supposed
Burn's aprons, you should see what I mean.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Ron Carnegie
r.carne...@verizon.net