Once upon a time I was in the "special collections" room at FIT doing some
research and there was an elderly gentleman nearby similarly involved.  We
left together when the library closed and we fell into conversation.  I
asked what he was working on.  "Oh," he said, I do paper dolls."  "You mean
like Tom Tierney?"  "I AM Tom Tierney!"  He seemed genuinely delighted that
I knew who he was. I'm sure I said something noncommittal like, "Of COURSE I
know you."  So it goes to show that it's not just the research, but what you
decide to do with it..