Can anyone please explain the process that might be happening here?   This
is mentioned about linen thread being processed into cloth in medieval
Egypt.

On receiving the threads, the weaver had first to use a pumice  stone to
clear off their blackish crust ...

One person has suggested that the thread might have been treated with ashes
 which would have contained lye and was, I am assuming, part of the process
of  doing something to the threads.  I would be further intrigued to learn
about whether this blackening occurred before the flax was spun into thread
or  after the thread was spun.

Intriguing question, I think.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Nancy