OOPS - bad me - forgot subject line on message below!

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Laurie Taylor
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 11:00 PM
To: 'Historical Costume'
Subject: [h-cost] (no subject)

Good evening,

Well, I don't know which costuming list first brought this image to my
attention, but the time has come...I have to make this chemise.  Someone
else had inquired about the bodice in this picture, but the chemise just
really hooked me.

http://exhibits.denverartmuseum.org/artisansandkings/?page_id=23

The painting is by Titian and the title is Woman with a Mirror, at least on
wga.hu.  I'd have used that link instead of this, but the WGA links don't
seem to work for getting directly to images.  Fortunately, there seem to be
plenty of photos of this painting all over the 'net.

As to why I'm rambling on about this image here, on h-costume, I'm debating
the pattern for this chemise.  I'm thinking that this should be no more
complicated than the Elizabethan chemise shown here,
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cheminst.html, even though this picture is
considerably earlier than Elizabethan, but I thought I'd seek other opinions
on the matter.

I have, for my first attempt at this chemise, a very sheer, cotton crinkle.
It certainly isn't period, but I think that it would give the look of the
chemise in the image.  I also have a silk set aside for this, for a second
version.

The chemise in the painting seems unlikely to have a drawstring neckline.
Any thoughts on this?  The picture on WGA.hu, zoomed to 200%, looks like
maybe very fine, parallel rows of gathers which would not have the
adjustability of a drawstring, but it's that gathered look that I like about
this chemise.

The sleeves are extremely full, but this could be a drawstring that has been
left un-drawn, untied.  Again, any interpretations from any of you?

Thanks.

Laurie T.
Phoenix