On Oct 11, 2010, at 6:10 AM, Kate Bunting wrote:

Laurie T wrote:

The chemise in the painting seems unlikely to have a drawstring neckline.
Any thoughts on this?

We discussed drawstrings on shifts/chemises a few years ago, and the consensus was that before the 18th century they all had sewn gathers round the neck and wrists.

I recently heard a talk by Stuart Peachey, the British expert on the 17th century, and asked him a question about this. He confirmed the above statement.

Kate Bunting
Librarian & 17th century reenactor.

Not much in the way of drawstrings in the 18thC, either. There are a few cases of a drawstring to snug up or hold the shape of a neckline, but not for controlling mass quantities of fabric. Shift sleeves were gathered into cuffs that buttoned and sometimes had a ruffle added.. Some decades had volume in the sleeves, others had less volume when the gown sleeves fit closely.

I think the 1960s/70s "peasant" look made us believe drawstrings were all over the place.

-Carol