Hi Kathy,

Long time since we have chatted.  They didn't film me at my request...I was
going on no sleep and looked like crap.  They were looking for American
treasures to film.  Since my collection is French they weren't that
interested in filming it, thank goodness.  I just really wanted to know the
collection's value for insurance purposes.  You might see me in the
background when they show the bear skin rug.  I was at the table behind
them.  The show airs in 2011.

Pow-wow...I was trying to figure out the same thing about the headdress.
There were about five men with this style headdress and various styles of
make-up.  The photos that I am going to put on my website are high
resolution.  So you might be able to tell more from those photos.

BTW, the Indians at the pow-wow are not just Chickahominy people.  I learned
a lot by going to this event.  First, the Chickahominy are the people who
kidnapped Jamestowne's John Smith.  Second, at a pow-wow, the host is the
Chickahominy.  They invited Indian nations from all over the U.S.  Their
dress is called regalia.  They are offended if you call it costume.  It may
take a lifetime to complete their regalia.  Some of the regalia may be
inherited from an ancestor.  The Chickahominy holds classes to teach their
young people how to loom-bead and create their regalia.  The Jingle Girls
have an interesting history behind the bells on their regalia.  The bells
are made with old tobacco or snuff tin lids.  We have some beautiful video
of them dancing.  The jingle makes an enchanting sound.  You can see a
close-up photo of a Jingle Girl's skirt on the Henricus slideshow.

FYI, Henricus is up-river from Jamestowne. Pocahontas and John Rolfe were
married there.

Penny Ladnier
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
14 websites of fashion, textiles, & costume history