I generally consider "costume" to mean something not intended for wearing for
other than a party, play, or trick-or-treat.

Only reason my outfit for MD Ren. Fest. gets "garb" and often just "clothes"
instead of "costume" is that it tends to get a real workout... from a few
singes from helping put out a small fire, to running all over the place,
spilling "stuff" on it, sitting around (managing to sew the skirt to something
*once), singing, kitchen duty, etc.

Now if I get around to finishing my "faire outfit for play"...*that'll*
probably get referred to as costume... garb would be at a pinch.

Kinda like it's rare to see someone wear a "national costume" and ever do any
real work while wearing it... but "traditional clothes" are sometimes worn
 By someone at work :-)
-Liz