From: Kimiko Small <sstormwa...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [h-cost] 1620s jacket vs waistcoat
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2011, 1:09 PM

Hi all,

I've been reading through the old Plymouth Plantation embroidery blog for their
reproduction embroidered jacket, and they were talking about waistcoats and
jackets, but in a way that made them seem interchangeable. I've tried googling
their blog directly to see if they explain anywhere what the differences or
similarities are, but all I found was one article that mention jackets, while
the links themselves mention 3 waistcoats and 1 jacket.
http://thistle-threads.com.mytempweb.com/blog/index.php/2009/01/new-jackets-to-view/

There was an earlier article where they said that the women would wear their
smocks, petticoats and stays while indoors, but would not leave their homes
without wearing a waistcoat or a jacket.

I had thought waistcoats were like vests, but this is a time period that is new
to me so I am not sure what they meant by waistcoat.

Would anyone here be able to explain what the differences are, if any?

Thank you,

Kimiko

Kimiko Small
http://www.kimiko1.com
"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~ Ghandi

The Tudor Lady's Wardrobe pattern
http://www.margospatterns.com/