> Basically, you shorten the channel tapes by a few inches where the steels are inserted into the channels, so they could be easily put in and pulled out. It didn't affect the way the steels stay in the channel. It does help to use the connectors that Farthingales sells, of course. It will require a few minutes of prep before wearing or storing the garment, but worth that extra time I think. I'm not sure how to work this with reeds used for boning.

I leave the casings open by a couple of inches on each side of the seam, push them back "gathered," over the steels, overlap the steels by a few inches, wind masking tape around them to hold them together, shove the taped ends under the casings, and sew the casings back together.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com