I'm about to make the kind of 14th-15th century dress that usually comes up in
discussions as the "Gothic fitted dress" (after Robin Netherton, I believe),
and the problem I'm facing is that the neckline for such dresses tend to be
rather open. Now, the friend I'm making the dress for is a devout-but-moderate
Muslim you'd normally see wearing a business suit (you know, tailored coat and
trousers) and a headscarf, so she has no issues with the rather figure-hugging
profile of the dress, but she needs a way to cover her bosom and her hair
without making her look like a spinster when she wants to wear the dress
outside her house. We're both convinced that there _is_ a way, but we're not
sure which options would have been realistically used by the women back then.
The first thing that came to our minds was a button-up hood like the London
hood (as in this example: http://tinyurl.com/6kbvprq ), and if it's indeed a
good option then most of our problems would
 just go away instantly. Still, we can't help wondering if there's also some
other option available, such as covering the chest with a fichu (would the
18th-century style still be kosher _four_ centuries earlier?) or partlet
(which, after all, must have come from somewhere) when she's in the mood to
wear the dress with a separate hat or to stick the hood on her head as a
chaperon.

So, any opinions? And thanks beforehand!