I've been away for a few days, so I only saw this thread today.

I've made a pair of the fitted hose as noted in the Tudor Tailor book, although
I draped directly on the man's body, not using a pattern except as a guide to
draping. Even using a pattern, it really needs to be fitted as close to the
man's body as possible (especially in the crotch for the mans comfort), in
order for it to stay on him without much need of lacing (although for some
bodies, the lacing helps). The garment is made on the bias of the fabric, which
in my client's case was in wool twill flannel, as twill that gives with
strength to the fabric. It was lined in the upper portion only (not legs) with
linen which made it comfortable to wear without much scratching from the linen.

You mention the beer belly, which I didn't really have to deal with so I've no
specific hints there. I would make sure it goes up to the man's actual
waistline in the back, and if needed dip a little in front to a comfortable
point around the belly. I don't know if your man is like most men I know where
he keeps his pants/jeans at below the belly right off the hips (with that
threat of revealing a bit too much in the back), but it helps the visual look
if he will wear his pants over the belly.

As to modern underpants showing, well, I guess that depends on what fabrics you
used. The wool flannel twill I used didn't really show the client's undies, but
other fabrics might. I am not sure the evidence of linen braes like were used
in the medieval period, but that may be an option. I don't have any men's sites
to help, as the one blog for men's clothing of this time period I know of, the
guy hasn't written about breeches (at least not tagged as such).

I hope this helps a little.

Kimiko