I recently got a copy of "The Rise and Fall of the Sleeve (Scottish museum pub)
that has pics from all the mags of that period.? Also, publications relating to
the Lowell Mills have much info and some pics.
-----Original Message-----
From: <albert...@aol.com>
Sent 5/3/2011 7:25:50 AM
To: h-cost...@indra.com
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 1830's fashionGoday's Lady's magazine starts in the
1830's in Philadelphia I believe.
Here's a link
http://www.accessible.com/accessible/aboutGL.jsp
But fashion plates don't always get the idea of what real people are wearing
(just like today) so it's good to look at the real thing. There are fine
examples of real gowns in that big thick book of fashion exhibits by the Kyoto
Museum. (Is it just called "Fashion"? I can't remember) Here's a lovely walking
gown at the Met Museum in NYC.... scroll about halfway down the page:
http://knot-cha-cha.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html
And I always like to see what the gowns look like in movement, on a person. So
I'll look at something in film or TV that is well designed.... remembering they
are costumes not actual gowns of course. BBC did a miniseries of "Wives and
Daughters" which is in the 1830's. Check that out.