Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 6:05 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] some questions about renaissance,

A kirtle is more the word for an underdress, with gown for the overdress. Confusingly kirtle, when used as a half-kirtle, can also mean a petticoat or underskirt without a body garment attached.

Wide and narrow as terms suggest to me that some garments may have been made with some sort of farthingale (hoop skirt) (wide), or without some form of hoop skirt. Do you have any images to work from, or is it simply written documents?

As to the ruffs, using an organza would be the easier way to minimize work later as it does have the spring needed - the neckband can still be in a soft linen for comfort. I also know folks using a monofiliment fishing line to the edges of a ruff to give that spring - in which case a nice light linen works nicely. In the period they starched it, but from firsthand experience I know that starch is a pain to keep up with, which non-historical costumers may not want to deal with.

And welcome back Bjarne. :-)

Kimiko