From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:18 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Techniques - sample suggestions? (long)

On 8/18/2011 12:32 AM, Sharon Collier wrote:
> One good technique I learned was how to gather using a zigzag over a
> strong base thread. Very useful when gathering a LOT of material, like
> a big ruffle onto a skirt bottom.
> And the gingham method of cartridge pleating.
> Sharon C.

Some people use drapery shirring tape for cartridge pleating--sew on the
tape, then draw up the cord. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it might
work well for theater, as apparently theatrical productions often keep hand
sewing and other labor-intensive techniques to the minimum.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com
www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress