How much did bustles weigh?

Kate Pinner

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Martha Kelly
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 2:38 PM
To: h-costume@mail.indra.com
Subject: [h-cost] Heavy underwear

My first thought was early 1850's, just before the hoop, as others have said.
But I wonder if, pound for pound, the 1770's and thereabout might win.  Stays
that were solidly boned and several layers thick were heavier than corsets,
linen shifts were heavier than chemises, petticoats were worn under and over
the panniers and some of these were quilted for warmth, and there was the
separate pocket, often worn in pairs.  It might be a toss-up.
Though I'm still betting on mid-Victorian.

Martha