From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Heather Rose Jones
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 7:01 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] costume on book covers, argh

One reason for the frustrating mis-matches between story details and cover
in the mass market genre fiction industry is that cover art is much more
about conveying "brand" and sub-genre information than intended to be
illustration.  The idea is to build a (somewhat arbitrary) symbolic
vocabulary that answers the buyers questions of: What general setting does
this story have?  What general plot will it have?  In the case of romance,
what level of sexual content will it have?  And sometimes down to the level
of: what specific writing style can I expect.

The cover is intended to stop the eye of a casual bookstore browser and
communicate to them "This book is going to be similar to those other books
you liked that had covers with the same 'vocabulary' elements. Consider: the
average romance buyer isn't looking for a cover that says something like
"1480s Burgundy, lower nobility" but a cover that says something like
"middle ages, no time-travel or supernatural elements, passionate courtship
but probably little explicit sex".

Heather Rose Jones