On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Marjorie Wilser <the3t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm on a small List that isn't listed anywhere except where we choose it to
> be (very limited exposure). It has remained spam-free for years.
>
> By letting Yahoo list a list, it automagically inherits a certain amount of
> spam.

But this was not spam. This was obviously the case of a legitimate person
getting his/her account hacked. This has been happening all over the
Internet for a few months now. The only way to prevent this is to put
*everyone* on moderation *all the time*, which is not a viable solution for
the list admins.

We got a similar message on our restricted local SCA group list, you know,
the one we only let people we know personally on? It's not spam in the
traditional sense. This is actually coming from the account of a real
person, who has no idea his or her account is being used for this purpose.

The solution? Well... there is not one definitive answer, but please use
complex passwords, change them often, and refrain from clicking on
suspicious links.

And, by the way, h-costume is with indra, not Yahoo.