> depending on where you live, you MIGHT be able to find bulk salt at a
> hardware store, for de-icing sidewalks and steps and so-forth? or possibly
> at a farm supply. this would be the time of year it would be in stock...

Be careful with the hardware store salt. The salt we eat is sodium chloride
(and that is what you're expected to use for dyeing as well). The salt used
for de-icing can be variety of things, or a mix of different things,
including calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. I doubt you'll get the
expected results with another salt.

As for farm supply, this should be the right kind. You might also be able
to find some at hunting supply stores, although it's usually sold in blocks
there.