Very interesting, thanks, Penny. Here in Derby (UK) we are only half an hour's
drive from Nottingham, but I hadn't realised that "Nottingham lace" was used as
a generic term for machine-made lace. I suppose it's all made in the Far East
now, like most of the other textile production.

About 40 years ago I had a summer job at a local factory which made synthetic
yarns and wove or knitted them into fabric. There was an old man who operated a
machine which cut the punched cards for making patterned fabric on Jacquard
looms. Seeing the cards in the photos reminded me of him.

Kate Bunting
Librarian & 17th century reenactor