From: Andrew Trembley <attre...@bovil.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2012 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] beginner sewing machine

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Marjorie Wilser <the3t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would recommend against the Kenmore. I grew up using (and cussing!) my
> mother's ca 1962 Kenmore. It *ate* thinner fabrics. I used it periodically
> to mend my Dad's clothing when home for visits, and even with years more
> experience sewing, I never made peace with the clunker.

Kenmore machines were (and still are) made for Sears/Kenmore by whatever
manufacturer Sears is contracting with at the moment.

For decades, they were made by White (excellent machines), but by the early
60's they switched to foreign manufacturers. That pretty much killed White,
now it's just a name that's been passed around between different companies
that bought and sold the trademark. In the late 70's to mid 80's Sears was
using a pretty good Japanese manufacturer (no, I don't know which one), but
it's totally a YMMV situation.

andy