Coutil is too stiff for this corset.  It's not like a mid 19th Century
corset where you want a sturdy stiff cloth to squeeze the body into an
unnetural shape with lots of boning.  This is a much more natural shape
giving the bust support more than anything.  A high thread count muslin,
like a sheeting is a good substitute for Nankeen.  Coutil will not give you
a corset like the original the pattern was taken from. I get a 90" cotton
sheeting at New England Quilt Supply, Springmaid I think, it is very high
thread count and has good body.

Katy

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Wicked Frau <wickedf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cotton Coutil dyes readily and you can also just use it as the interlining
> if you want something else on the outside (like printed yellow cloth).
>
> Sg
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Emily Gilbert <emchantm...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your input, everyone!  It sounds like I'd be best off using
> > coutil or something similar, Saundra's recommendation notwithstanding.
> >
> > Emily
> >

> > On 2/6/2012 7:00 PM, Joan Jurancich wrote:
> >
> >> According to Montgomery, "Textiles in America", Nankeen is "a cotton
> >> cloth of plain weave originally sold at Nankin in China and made from a
> >> yellow variety of cotton..." "At least by the mid-eighteenth century, in
> >> the Manchester area it was made of ordinary cotton dyed yellow. Swatch
> >> number 62 in Holker's manuscript is nankeen suitable for men's
> waistcoats
> >> and trousers which he says wears very well." (see page 308 for more
> details)
> >>
> >> You might try to find coutil, which is made specifically made for
> >> corsets. It's fairly lightweight, but very strong.
> >>
> >> Joan Jurancich
> >> joa...@surewest.net

> --
> -Sg-

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.