I use a Tajima Neo, which is a whole bigger beast but it is possible to do
edging. It is much easier to hoop the fabric before an item is made than do
edges on a finished item. You can use underlay to make up the difference in
area in the hoop. Lining everything up will take a bit of experience. It is
more important that you can design and import digitising to your machine. If
you are limited to old technology (floppy disks etc) you may be stuck with a
pretty limited selection, and that is unlikely to be great for reproductions.
Lynlee
>I am planning to buy an embroidery machine and my local shop has a used
>Designer 1 machine. Is this machine still suitable or should I be looking at
>newer machines? I want to do embroidery on edges of fabric, ie like a ruffle,
>and so on for historical reproduction sewing.
Many thanks,
Aylwen

Sent from my iPad