I have been told that the common method (at least for Italian painters of
this period) was to be granted a relatively short audience often while the
subject was doing something else and the prinicipal artist would bring
several apprentices with them each one would be give a task to pay
attention to the details of a particular part of their appearance e.g. one
is told to sketch the dress, another the jewelry, another their accessories
etc. while the principal artist pays attention to the face.

Thanks to everyone who has replied it has certainly helped.

Elizabeth