I was thinking of something along that line. The back of the embrodery is so thick & uneven that I'm dubious about using fusibles. Also, the metallic threads give me pause. It is the ends of the metallics that are scratching, an I don't trust them not to melt in an ugly way if I apply enough heat to fuse properly. And if I don't get a proper fuse, I'll just have to hand-stitch anyway! But a patch of something smooth & pre-shrunk attached to the wrong-side of the motifs should be doable.

Sharon C. said:

Fusible backing with thin linen on the inside. Non scratchy and cool.