from context on this page http://vasportsman.com/Coaching_in_Newport.pdf, I
believe that in the modern sport of "Coaching", "whip" may refer to the main
driver, usually the owner or at least the organizer of a coaching group, the
one who weilds the literal whip.

Coaching, as is currently quite popular in England, because of Prince Phillip's
enthusiasm for it, and apparently among the East Coast upper crust here in the
US. Supporting multiple, multiple-horse teams, building and maintaining
carriages -- definitely a 1% avocation.

chimene