From: Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Sun, September 2, 2012 6:53:54 PM
Subject: [h-cost] Advice on new sewing machine

I do not want a serger, or an embroidery machine.  I want a machine with the
following features:

* Metal body
* Durability
* Infrequent need for service
* Not quirky
* Really good straight stitch
* Zigzag capability
* Easy buttonholes
* Ability to sew both light and heavy fabrics easily, including crossing seams
* Free arm or narrow bed? so I can sew sleeves easily
* Probably the ability to lower the feed dogs
* Mechanical machine, except I'm confused about the term. Even the "mechanical"
machines (new not vintage) clearly have some computerization
* A machine that doesn't try to make my decisions for me!
* Probably a new machine, since I don't want to inherit someone else's problems
and want to be able to get parts easily
* Good track records.  I have bought two expensive machines (over time) that
were supposedly good machines from reputable manufacturers, yet they turned out
to be a chronic PITA

I am considering the Bernina 1008, since as far as I can tell the 1015 is no
longer made. But clearly other manufacturers are also making mechanical
machines.

Thanks for any advice.

Fran
Lavolta Press