From: Sharon Phillips <vintagealternat...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Hair and Reenacting

Thank you to everyone who had offered ideas for head coverings and ideas for
starting points for reasearched. I haven't done any costuming in the last five
years or so and I'm struggling to remember what I had learnt before then.

I guess I'm also stressing a little because I'm already self-concious about
drawing attention to my face at events when I'm not wearing sunglasses. My
medication paralyse my eye muscles and pupils open,  and I usually I hide that
behind Ray-Bans. I dyed my hair to add colour to my face. The henna colour in
some lights is a metallic wine-red and in other lights the colour matches a
piece of burnt sienna coating I have. I don't remember seeing that shade of red
as a natural hair colour but I could be wrong.

I do know of a couple of local wigmakers locally who do make human hair wigs.
One of them will buy hair, which is what prompted this line of thought. I do
expect made to order wigs to be expensive like any craft that takes many, many
hours of hand work. Cost is one of the reasons I'm after opinions and ideas
before making enquiries to them.

I had not thought of using the hair for switches which sounds much more
feasible. How is the best way to make them into pieces that won't fall apart?

Sharon Phillips
(I use Dragon Dictate to compose emails. Strange word substitutions may occur.)