I figured it might be useful for quilting. I find that basting is quite enough for garment layers of velvet, satin, etc., though.

During the second half of the 19th century, home sewers could buy fabrics pre-quilted by machine.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com

I got a walking foot when I machine-quilted something. The batting changes the game entirely — even with a light spray adhesive to "baste" the layers together, the loft of the batting will still let the top & bottom layers shift.

If I was going to hand-baste the quilt first, I might as well hand-quilt it. With a walking foot I can go freestyle with the stitching.

It depends on the level of accuracy desired — some people are ok with machine quilting on a historic garment that would have been done by hand. I assume there are 19th and 20th C garments that were originally machine quilted.

-Carol