I should add about the feet--I have been a traditionalist for the many decades now that I have been sewing, for modern as well as historic clothes. Of course treadles have attachments for ruffling and many other tasks, but I only used my treadle up to the age of 16 or so, and my father didn't buy any attachments with it, so I never got into the habit of using those. Then when I studied couture, I got into the habit of hand sewing a lot. I've always hand overcast all seams (that need that type of finish), hand hemmed all garments, and so forth. But lately I have been thinking that some machine finishes might be acceptable, though I have not really made up my mind about that yet. At least they will give me something new to play with. Otherwise, I am going batty doing piles of alterations (mostly skirt and sleeve hems) that I put away for several years till I finally faced up to them. I am thinking that maybe if it is a modern serged garment elsewhere, it won't kill the appearance to forgo all that handwork for some machine finishes and it would get the work done faster. It is really dull getting through the alterations and refraining from making anything new till I finish, but it needs to be done. At least, when it gets too boring I am having some fun altering Victorian and Edwardian lingerie into boho styles and dyeing them. There are lots of things to do with petticoat ruffles . . .

I'm not blaming anyone else for using a serger, adhesives, marking pens, modern industrial techniques, or any other methods. It's just not the way I sew.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic sewing
www.lavoltapress.com