From: "Marjorie Wilser" <the3t...@gmail.com>
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:09:39 AM
Subject: [h-cost] Indian? Pakistani? Not sure what it is.

In the interest of historical costume, modern version:

I have a great thrift store outfit I purchased some years ago in the
South Bay (San Jose) area. It looks like a typical woman's "Punjabi
suit" consisting of tunic, shawl, and pants-- except there are no
pants. There is a long, even on me (5'10) flowing skirt. It's
obviously dressy attire. There is gold (?) bullion embroidery on the
front of the tunic, and tiny gold seed beads stitched all over the
skirt and shawl (wider than the typical Paloo of a sari). Fabric is an
abstract print in warm brown and golden tones on a lightweight silk.
Lined throughout. It was a very lucky find for me because I am tall
and had only to steal fabric from a seam to add a bust room gusset
under the arms.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to this outfit's origins? I'm
definitely voting for the Punjab because of the tunic, and thinking
perhaps it might be some very formal outfit due to the heavy
embroidery. I don't think this list takes attachments, but I do have a
pic to post. . . somewhere, or send to whomever is interested.

Thanks!

==Marjorie Wilser

Three Toad Press
http://3toad.blogspot.com/