Well, I DID say I was looking for a machine with the idea of doing historical embroidery that looked sort of accurate, and wondered if there were many available historical designs or if not, how to digitize my own. Blackwork is a nice idea but I'm also interested in other kinds of embroidery. I'm sure embroidery machines can do satin stitch, but can they do chain stitch? What kinds of stitches comparable to hand stitches are available on embroidery machines, other than straight sewing, zigzag, satin stitch, and the kinds of seam finishes available on sewing machines like my Bernina 1008?

I'm not that impressed by the blackwork samples someone linked to, but I think they would have been improved by use of a heavier thread. The real difficulty I saw was a machine-like regularity.

This list isn't very active, so let's not spoil a conversation by over policing.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com