On 1/15/2013 8:11 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:
Well, you can always use it for handwork, or craft projects.  I've had
thread on old garments disintegrate (sleeves fell off) , but I'm not sure if
that was because of the garment being dry cleaned or something. It was a
1930's knit dress.  The fabric was fine, just the thread had rotted.

Problem is, the sewing machine is only the first hurdle. The garment still has to withstand the strain of multiple wearings and cleanings. There is no point in penny pinching on thread. Heck, Jo-Ann's sends me coupons almost daily, by email, postal mail, or sometimes, inserted in my local paper. I can always get 40% or 50% off on thread, which is about the only thing I buy there.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic sewing
www.lavoltapress.com