Really easy way to get a handsewn T-tunic: Buy one of the heavy French linen chemises regularly sold by sellers on Etsy. They are sometimes labeled as nightgowns, sometimes labeled as hemp (maybe they are, but I suspect poor translation), sometimes labeled as "metis" (apparently a linen/cotton blend), sometimes labeled as handwoven which I don't think they are, but they *are* often (not always) completely hand sewn. They are sometimes labeled as Regency or Georgian but the tradition cut hung on and most are likely late 19th or early 20th century. The necklines tend to be round or square, but not V. Sometimes there is a front slit, sometimes not. Some have sleeves, some are sleeveless. Prices vary, but are often reasonable (especially for a hand sewn garment in good condition). I recently bought a lot of four for $40 on eBay.

Here is one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/127568458/french-nightgown-thick-rustic-metis?ref=sr_gallery_41&ga_search_query=chemise&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_order=date_desc&ga_page=0&ga_search_type=vintage

There are enough of these regularly for sale (especially on Etsy) from different vendors, and all apparently French, that I suspect some kind of common institutional use, boarding schools or convents or hospitals, perhaps. These chemises are practically bulletproof. They are always in great condition in my experience, and they machine dye beautifully in Procion dyes. I personally think wearing one either as an undergarment crammed under a corset (which was usual for chemises at the time they were made), or as a nightgown over bare skin, would be uncomfortable. Apparently, at the time these were made plenty of French women disagreed. These are, however, great worn as dresses or tunics over another garment. You can decorate them with braid, embroidery, what you fancy. You will probably need to add a piece to enlarge the sleeves.

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com