On a recent trip "home" I found a letter written by my great grandmother to
her sister describing her daughter's wedding, which I have been trying to
transcribe.   The wedding took place at home and the bride's attire was
described as a "simple costume."    Her veil was described, but not the dress
itself.  This is what I've been able to figure out so far.  (Some of the words
might not be exactly right - I'm still deciphering the handwriting!)

"The pure white  ---   veiling(?) trimmedwith many rows of lace and with
drapery of white watered ribbon at the back was very pretty.  The veil a large
square of tulle fell a little over her face and was caught on one side of the
head by a cluster of natural white roses.  Anotherbunch at the left side of the
neck among the laces and a third larger upon the skirts holding the veils back
a little. Black stockings & slippers and long white gloves made up the t----
ensemble. The only ornaments  were a beautiful Silver comb & earrings sent her
by Cousin..."

What would this dress have looked like?  We haven't been able to find any
pictures that could be this gown.

She comments that the groom's mother looked  "uncommonly well in black satin &
lace. Some beautiful diamonds at her throat."  Was it normal to wear black to a
wedding?  How long would someone wear mourning for a son?  (The groom's brother
had died in 1875.)

Thanks!

Cathy