Dear all,

I was asked by a friend about the correct name for a hat type worn by women in
late 19th century England. And while I do historical costuming, the 19th
century is really not my thing, so I thought I would ask the experts here.

She described it as a small top hat, bigger and flatter than the miniature top
hats you see in steampunk garb, often swathed in ribbon and tulle.

Picture examples:

- http://100megspop3.com/adira/victoria/1882estacaoa.jpg, the one on the far
left, though that may be a mutant bonnet.
- http://100megspop3.com/adira/victoria/1884myraa.jpg, on the right.  That's
bigger and less frouffy (technical term :-) ) than I was thinking of.
- http://100megspop3.com/adira/victoria/1881estacaob.jpg , the middle hat,
which makes me think that maybe what I'm seeing is a small bonnet worn on top
of the head?
Is there a common name for this type of hat? Or are there several different
ones depending on minute details in appearance and/or construction,
alternatively no specific name at all?

With thanks,
Lena (mostly lurking)