"Doux" also means "soft," but here it seems to be a brand name/manufacturer's label rather than a type of fabric.

Velvet is a weave. You *can* weave velvets from any fiber, though some fibers are more attractive than others, and some velvets are significantly more available and/or affordable than others. If you want to make clothes, make sure you are not getting upholstery weight velvet, which can be very heavy indeed, except maybe for a small garment like a vest. All the linen velvet (velvet weave, linen fiber) that I have seen has been upholstery velvet. If you find any garment weight linen velvet, please post the source and I'll go buy some! Cotton velvet may commonly be either garment or upholstery weight, but if it's from a home-dec store it's probably upholstery weight. On housefabric.com, with the velvets labeled "Flanders," "Nevada," etc., those are just brand names/manufacturer's labels, not standard fabric names. When you are buying garment-weight velvet, make sure it's not a stretch velvet unless you want stretch.

Fran

Frances Grimble
Books on making historic clothing
www.lavoltapress.com