I have been thinking about this since your message came through a few hours
ago, trying to come up with a source to prove or disprove the use of
gathers in 1550 to 1600. (One of the things I adore about this list is that
folks site documentation to back up opinions.) However, I'm drawing a blank
too, since most of our existing examples show those of wealth, layered in
seriously significant amounts of yardage.

What class of gown are you working on?

It's not a leap to assume that the lower classes couldn't afford the
yardage to do proper regular pleats, box pleats or cartridge pleats, and
therefore did indeed gather out of necessity. For example, if one only had
enough yardage to make a skirt that was 5 inches wider than the hip
measurement, 5 inches would not pleat evenly all the way around. To evenly
space the pleats and put them all the way around without major gaps between
them, the fabric must be 1.5 times the waist measurement, at minimum,
right? (And this doesn't even take into account bum rolls.)

It's not like gathering wasn't a new skill in that time period...by that
era, people had been manipulating fabric with that technique for a long,
long time.

If you're not aiming for upper class, I say go for it.

If you are aiming for upper class, and are low on fabric, maybe a Spanish
surcoat would work for the amount of fabric you have...?

Or are you just trying to get out of making pleats?? *wink*

'Bella