The book uses it to distinguish "Short Timer" or "New rich" from the families
who have been leading Venetian families for generations.  Kat is from one of
the oldest families in Venice ang therefore her family is one of the. " Casa
Longi". The only older family left is Marco's Valdosta clan whose first
ancestor started Venice when the area was just swamp.

Wanda

Sent from my iPad