Sounds MARVELOUS! We've been following American Bungalow magazine and the other
major Arts-n-Crafts-houses one (which I can never remember the name of!) for
quite a while now.

Since it's only the 40's, that's probably too recent for any Sacramento
heritage-housing organization to be interested in??? Such a group MIGHT have
info about the early days of your house. The Rehab Addict gal (HGTV) often
finds wonderful pictures of early days of her houses that way.

Hope you have some medium or bigger, drought-resistant trees to help with
microclimates and passive cooling! We have several maples and hazelnut trees
that help our (VERY) little 50s rancher a LOT that way.  Also, 2-acre garden,
oy!

Best wishes!
chimene the envious, 8-)

On Aug 30, 2015, at 12:30 PM, Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com> wrote:

> The seller did a lot of work to prepare for the sale, including a new roof,
> and we now have estimates for all the indoor work we want to do. So I don't
> think there will be any more expensive surprises.
>
> The other surprises are kind of fun. The house is almost 5,000 square feet
> (plus garage) and was built in the 40s as a Colonial Revival style. I grew up
> in an area where there were plenty of real Colonial houses and see little
> resemblance, unless you count wide hallways, and wide doorways to all the
> public rooms. It could as easily be Mission, which is more the look we're
> aiming at.  Anyway, there have been a number of owners and each one has
> remodeled the property in some significant way.  We're not even sure how much
> of the house is original and what was added on or when. We keep discovering
> things. The other day a painting contractor who came to give an estimate
> examined the drywall on the living room ceiling. He pointed out there were
> long patches indicating that the ceiling once had ornamental Mission style
> beams across it. I'd rather like to put beams in there now, but my husband
> refuses. There is a family room next to it with an entirely wooden ceiling,
> massive (pro!
 bably) nonsupportive beams and all, so I suppose that will have to do.