Makes sense.  That's what I do in my sewing circle--bring the nice stuff to
work on and leave the ugly stuff at home.

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Lavolta Press
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:23 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Is h-costume still going?

I get the impression that in the nineteenth century there was "private"
versus "public" needlework.  Unmarried young women, at least, tended to do
mending and make underclothes (shirts fell into that category) only within the
family (when no callers were expected) or at most, only in front of intimate
female friends. Their public, "fine" needlework showed off their skills in
embroidery, netting, and so forth. When they made calls, they might be
embroidering a flounce for a dress, or embroidering a fire screen, but not
mending stockings.  Unpretentious matrons and mothers of large families might
do plain sewing and mending in a more public way, but elegant married women,
not.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com