"*the |BACKUP|* statement does not lock the database objects, and therefore does not block other users"

I just wanted to add. For me it did block access to the database unless I was running in multi-threaded mode.

Cheers, Ryan

Dario Fassi wrote:
Hi,
Online backup it's a critical function and their documentation it's somewhat confusing , please can you clarify this.

The |BACKUP| SQL statement and the |Backup| tool both create a zip file with all database files. However, the contents of this file are not human readable. *Other than the SCRIPT statement, the |BACKUP|* statement does not lock the database objects, and therefore does not block other users. *The resulting backup is transactionally consistent:*

BACKUP TO 'backup.zip'
The |Backup| tool (|org.h2.tools.Backup|) can not be used to create a online backup; the database must not be in use while running this program.

*Creating a backup while the database is running is not supported, except if the file systems support creating snapshots. The problem is that it can't be guaranteed that the data is copied in the right order. *

Please confirm:

1) BACKUP SQL AND SCRIPT statement create an on-line backup ( while database is running ) that is transactionally consistent that don't lock database objects nor block other users.

2) BACKUP TOOL can't be used to on-line backup ; even if file systems support creating snapshots.

Thanks
Dario.