Hi,

> DATE and TIME types have nothing to do with timezones.

Well, currently they do. See also ResultSet.getDate and getTime(...,
Calendar cal).

> TIMESTAMP refers to a point of time in the whole universe that can be shared
> by all possible calendar systems.

For certain use cases, yes. For other use cases, no. Let's say you
want to store a log file in the database. Of course you *could*
convert the timestamps to UTC. In this case you would get different
results depending on the timezone where you open the database file.
But in many cases people prefer to *not* convert the timestamp. If you
send a log file (that includes a timestamp column) to another country
then the timestamp in the log file doesn't magically change. You don't
*want* it to change. If it changes when you send the database file
then that's unexpected and therefore confusing. Maybe not for you, but
for others.

That's probably why all databases I know don't convert timestamps when
you send the database file to another time zone.

I'm not saying a new data type "TIMESTAMP WITH TIMEZONE" is not
needed. It would be a nice feature. But it's currently not
implemented.

Regards,
Thomas