I need to parse out the table names and column names from SQL
statements that are entered by my users, as I need to check that the
SQL conforms to certain conventions.

One specific use case is in some circumstances they must select a
column with an alias of ID and they must select a column with an alias
of VALUE. So I expect:

SELECT somecol AS ID, someothercol AS VALUE FROM atable WHERE
something = somethingelse

or alternatively

SELECT ID, VALUE FROM atable WHERE something = somethingelse

if atable already has ID and VALUE columns.

I can do it with regular expressions. I thought it might be more
interesting(!) to do it with the H2 parser. That should also have a
nice side-effect of proving that the entire statement is sytactically
correct too, which would be better than finding out at runtime :-)

Is it possible and easy to do that with the H2 parser without having a
database connection? If so, can anyone give me any hints or tips about
how to proceed? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and should stick
with Regex?

Cheers,
Ian.