In our application we have defined skeleton query's where we add/
replace some clauses when the query is executed.

Example:

Select [fields] from MasterTable
   left join detail1 as Stem1 on MasterTable.id1 = Stem1.id
   left join detail2 as Stem2 on MasterTable.id2 = Stem2.id
   left join detail3 as Stem3 on MasterTable.id3 = Stem3.id
[where]
[group]
[order]

The sections [fields], [where] , [group] ,[order] are replace by
actual values based on what the end-user has defined.

If the end-user did not choose any outputfield or filtercondition from
detail1, detail2 or detail3 the peformance of this query is needles
slowed down.

Should it be appropriate for the database engine to remove all join
statements if there are no references to the aliases envolved ?

regards,

Rinse