I am retrieving one text column (CLOB) from a table in a "remote" H2
database (actually on a local drive, but using Server, i.e. tcp/ip, to
access it) and after retrieving the first 100 rows the program hangs
on retrieving the next row of the result set. If, on the other hand, I
access the same database as an embedded database, there is no problem.
If I try to display the table's rows using H2's console application
accessing the database using the Server method, then I get the
following error message:

IO Exception: "java.io.IOException: org.h2.message.DbException: The
object is already closed [90007-164]";
"lob: null table: 14 id: 1" [90031-164] 90031/90031

The table has 523 rows. When I started the application specifying
system property h2.serverResultSetFetchSize with a value of 600, it
hung after retrieving just 3 rows! When I reran specifying this
property with a value of 1, it no longer hung! Values up to 87 seem to
work OK. A value of 88 hung after 88 rows were returned.  I am a
newbie and it's not clear what this parameter is really supposed to be
doing.